Use templates or print manually fractions, radical expressions and not only.
In Word Online, and no tools to work with formulas. Therefore, you will need a desktop version of the editor. These instructions are written for Windows, but in Word for macOS the procedure is similar.
How to insert a template formula in Word
In Word there is a built-in set of ready-made equations. Among them — the formula of area of triangle and circle, binomial theorem, trigonometric identities and other expressions. You can paste them, nothing dialing manually.
1. Click “Insert” and click on the arrow next to the “Equation” (or “Formula” in macOS).
2. Select the desired formula from the list that appears. If here there are none, move the mouse pointer to the item “Additional equations from the site Office.com” and look for alternative in the list that appears on the screen. Additional formulas are available only in Windows.
3. If necessary, click on the pasted formula, and edit it.
How to group tabs in Chrome
How to create formula in Word
If the template is not the right formula, you can build your equation in a special designer with a library of mathematical symbols.
1. Click “Insert” → “Equation” (“Formula” in macOS).
2. Use the tools in the menu Constructor. Thanks to them you can insert and edit a variety of mathematical symbols and structures: matrices, fractions, logarithms, parentheses, roots, diacritical marks, integrals and so on.
How to save your formula as a template
To further you do not have to collect already created in the constructor of the formula again, you can add it to the list of templates. This will allow you to insert it in the same way as other formulaic equation.
1. Click on the three dots in the corner of the right formulas to highlight it.
2. Click “Insert”, click on the arrow next to the “Equation” (Formula in macOS) and select “Save selection to a collection of equations”.
3. In the menu, set the parameters of the formula: name, category (for example “Mathematics” or “Physics”) and optionally a description. When finished, click OK.
Added formula will appear in the formulaic equations in the menu “Insert” → “Equation” (Formula in macOS), from where it can be inserted into the document.
How to insert a formula in a table in Word
Word also supports intelligent formula is able to perform simple actions with the data in the table cells. For example, they can be used to calculate the sum of numbers or to find the greatest number.
1. Fill in the table numbers.
2. Place the cursor in the cell where you want to see the result of the calculation.
3. On the toolbar, click “Layout” (next to the design tab of the table) and select “Formula”.
4. When the menu opens with the parameters of the formula in the “Insert function”, select the necessary operator. For example, SUM() finds the sum of numbers in cells, AVERAGE() finds the arithmetic mean, and MIN() and MAX() determine the smallest and largest numbers, respectively. A complete list of supported operators with descriptions can be found in the Word help.
5. In the Formula field, specify the location of the numbers to which you want to apply the selected operator. This can be done by using special arguments. Each of them selects all the numbers in a certain direction relative to the cell with the result: right — right, LEFT — left, BELOW — and ABOVE — over. In order to avoid mistakes, fill empty cells considered in the computation of the zeros.
For example, write the formula that finds the sum of all numbers on the left and bottom relative to the cell with the result, using the operator SUM() and arguments LEFT and BELOW:
The arguments in the parentheses after the operator. They can be combined two by recording using a semicolon. The result is displayed in the previously selected cell:
As you can see, working with these formulas are not very convenient. And their functionality is limited and much inferior to the capabilities of Excel. But you can perform simple mathematical operations directly in a text editor.
How to number pages in Word
How to make table of contents in Word in just a few seconds
How to make a footnote in Word for Windows, macOS, web
3 ways to reduce the document size in MS Word
How to use a hidden currency Converter in Microsoft Word